Flapping

Flapping

Postby KHarrar » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:47 am

Hi, my son has been taking part in son-rise for a few years now and while I can see improvements, he is still 'flapping' his hands a lot which limits us to what we can do in the playroom. I'm looking into sensory & vision therapy which make help reduce this. Does anybody have any other suggestions?
KHarrar

Re: Flapping

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi There,

It's great to hear from you! Fantastic job on running you Son-Rise Program, we are excited to hold hands with you on your journey with your son!

You mentioned in your question that your sons hand flapping "limits" what you can do in the playroom. The Son-Rise Program believes that there are no limits but instead, opportunities to work with him and teach him during the times that he is giving us green lights and interacting with us. His hand flapping would be seen as a repetitious, exclusive behavior that we would join. So there would be no other thing to teach him in that moment except that we love and accept these behaviors and don't see them as limiting but a chance for us to strengthen our relationship with him.

All the best!
BeckyDamgaard

Return to Exclusive and Repetitious Behaviors