Regurgitation

Regurgitation

Postby annieb » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:37 pm

I have a 10 year old autistic son who for the last few month has started regurgitating his food. Initially he would bring the food back up into his mouth, swill it around and then swallow it but over the past couple of weeks he has started to actually vomit the food out and then eat it. We are at our wits end at what to do. We have seen his paediatric consultant who has said there is nothing physically wrong and he is doing it for sensory reasons. We have tried ignoring him and also saying no but nothing makes any difference. Daniel is non verbal and communicates with a few makaton signs so it is difficult to gauge how much he really understands when we are trying to reason with him. If anyone has any ideas they would be greatfully received as we are really struggling at the moment.
annieb

Re: Regurgitation

Postby annieb » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:35 am

Please could someone try and come up with some ideas, we are really struggling with this and don't know where to turn.
annieb

Re: Regurgitation

Postby SusanHumphries » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Thank you so much for posting your question. It is our experience that when we see children doing that there are a few points that we take into consideration;
• Our attitude and reaction to Daniel when he is ruminating or eating what he has spit up.
• There may be a dietary component or sensitivity that he has recently developed
• It may be a form of communication. He may need to get control of his environment by doing this behavior he may be getting something he wants or does not want.

Our children are extremely sensitive to their environment. The environment they are exposed to includes people’s attitudes.

Here are some suggestions in regards to attitude: Do the best you can to relax about this behavior. Being at your witts end suggests some level of discomfort. When we are uncomfortable we react. Some times our children seek to get control of their surroundings and when they button push and we get uncomfortable we may light up, move away, or be really interesting to observe. Ignoring a child and being uncomfortable inside is still a reaction. You want to the best of your ability take a deep breathe and tell yourself that you love your son and that in your comfort and ease you will still want to help him with this. For example, when you see this happening you can comfortably in soft voice, “I notice that your food is coming up and its okay I am here to help you with it because I love you.”

Be a loving and curious detective. Start to make note of what happens before, during and after. In working with families I will often see they are requesting from their child before he was ready, they may be interrupting his ism, etc. Him vomiting may move people away or redirects their energy so he may have learned to use it as a form of communication. You also want to notice in these moments but also those who spend time with him. Getting this information is going to help you and your team become more consistent when helping. We believe all of our children are able to take in our explanations they just might not be able to clearly show us their reception all the time. If you see that he is getting something that he wants from the behavior clearly explain to him he can show you in other ways. For example you may notice he wants space then the explanation would be as follows; “I notice that your food comes before I get close to you, if you want me to move you gently move me with your hand or you can say move.”
We encourage for you to contact a DAN doctor or someone who has experience with dietary intervention to support a healthy gut or gut repair. It may simply be that he has developed an allergy to certain foods and this is one way his body is responding. He may have an intolerance to dairy, gluten or acidic producing foods now.

No matter the reason why Daniel is doing this your comfort, ease and love for him in this phase will help him, your team and your family hugely.

We have seen countless times when awe adjust our attitude to be loving and accepting, that in itself alleviates the child’s behavior. For instance, we have seen it with seizures, pooh smearing, biting, head banging, crying, spilling liquids, pinching, throwing, and many many more circumstances. In other words love first act second. It will help.

Try what we have suggested for a few weeks and let us know if you need more help. If you still feel uncomfortable please know you can book a consultation with one of our teachers to support you develop a more relaxed attitude.

Have a wonderful time helping your sweet boy with this. :D
Susan Humphries
The Son Rise Program ™ Teacher
SusanHumphries

Return to Challenging Behaviors