Sensory integration

Sensory integration

Postby kathitapia » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Hello, I have a son, he is 33 months old and we still do not have a diagnose for him because we are scheduled for an appointment on September or October, but I don't want to waste precious time, so any advise would be great. He is very affectionate with me, my husband, my mother-in-law and any other person that he gets to know a little bit more, and makes great eye-contact with anybody, specially me, but refuses to play with his peers, has become agressive specially with his younger sister and sometimes with us too if we refuse to do what asks us to, plus he stims some of the time, specially when he is stressed, under pressure, anxious, very excited or just completely relaxed. He flips most pages of most books and magazines. He started stimming approximately when he was 10 months old, but about a month ago his stimming increased (he rises his arms, drops his jaw, bends his head and shakes for 2 seconds) and then came back to his "normal" amounts. Then that stimming decreased quite a lot but new ones appeared. He puts his fingers in his mouth, takes his tongue out trying to reach his chin, tries to put his fingers in his ears, tries to eat my hair, moves his head back and forth very strongly. I saw him shaking his hands in front of his eyes only once and the same with the spinning, only once. He used to do it only at home but he has started doing it outside too, although in less amounts that at home. He knows the whole alphabet since he is 18 months old and can count till 20 in English and Spanish, actually we think this could be stimming too because he does it out of the blue and sometimes even pointing at the ceiling, but he wants me to join him, otherwise he won't do it. Same thing with the colors, pointing at the ceiling. He has a speech delay -he is just starting to put 2 words together-, and had never been exposed to other children until 2 months ago when we started taking him to the park, but he is starting on a daycare on Monday to see if he opens himself to socialize. Besides the stimming movements, he had some repetitive behaviors before but has been able to overcome them -he wanted to take the same route when going out walking, not problem if inside the car though. He overcame it after the third try and after a lot of crying-.

Could this all mean he has autism? How can I help him with his stimming? Will learning to socialize with his peers help him decrease his stimming? What Son-Rise techniques can I use with him if he has always made good eye-contact and lets me participate in his games but wouldn't socialize with his peers?

He has a behavior therapist but she uses ABA and I don't want to follow that route. Also, how can I apply Son-Rise for him? He already makes great eye-contact with me and is willing to play with any adult that sits next to him with toys, and would even initiate play with my husband, my mother-in-law and I, but refuses to play with other children, even when they invite him to, he just doesn't want to. We keep pushing him, taking him to the park and trying to create playing opportunities, but it doesn't work at all. He once approached a child with bubbles, we thought he was joining him, but it was just a game between him and the bubbles.

Thank you for your time reading this, I'm sorry it's quite long, but I'm really desperate, every day that passes by my little angel changes more.
kathitapia

Re: Sensory integration

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your questions. We would love to help! the first thing I would suggest is that you set up a complimentary 25-minute initial call with one of our Family Counselors (413-229-2100). They will answer your questions and help you learn more about The Son-Rise Program. This is by no means a diagnosis, a medical professional would need to confirm that for you but it does sound like your son could be on The Autism Spectrum.

The way to help him with his peers is to set up a quiet room in your home where you can work one on one with him and start to use The Son-Rise Program techniques with him so that he can begin to trust and build a deep rapport with you. The more that you can demonstrate to him how fun it is to be with people, the more he will create a desire to play with other children his own age.

There is a DVD you can watch called "Getting Started" which will illustrate some techniques that you can begin implementing right now.

In our experience, playing with peers isn't learnt by simply being around other children. It's learnt from first relating to and having a desire to connect with other people. When you are in your playroom, you will be able to join with his stims as a way to connect and relate to him and then build upon any connections he makes with you by celebrating and offering something new.

The more he can connect and relate to you, the more he will be able to connect and relate to his peers.

All the best!
BeckyDamgaard

Return to Sensory Integration