Son-Rise for 11 year old HFA

Son-Rise for 11 year old HFA

Postby thereisaway » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi,

It is wonderful that there are parents like us working with older kids.

We have an 11 year old who is doing okay but still have issues to work on - anxiety, reading comprehension and socialization. He will attend 6th grade with no aide. We are nervous but also want to see how he fares. He want to socialize with his peers but sometimes he is not interested in what the peers are or vice versa.

Has anyone done the Son-Rise with a child that is level 3-5 on the social curriculum and seen results? Do the results last and generalize to the real world?

I spoke to a Family Counselor who was very helpful and to paraphrase what she said - we want him to "live life" not just "survive".

Thank you!
thereisaway

Re: Son-Rise for 11 year old HFA

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:08 am

Hello,

Thank you for your post!

Seeing as no parents have replied yet, I wanted to let you know that we have recently worked with families of an 8-year old, two 9-year olds and an 11-year old who are all at stage 3-5 on The Son-Rise Program Developmental Model.

Their parents report the following changes since running their Son-Rise Programs:

More flexible, more interactive both inside and outside of the playroom, Initiating more activities with them, stronger eye contact, better comprehension, improved eye contcat, able to handle frustration more effectively, less rigid, improved speech, greater awareness, better coordination.

To learn more, I highly recommend you attend a Son-Rise Program Start-Up or book a phone consultation woth one of our Teachers. your Family Counselor can give you more information about that.

Warm regards,
BeckyDamgaard

Re: Son-Rise for 11 year old HFA

Postby SusanZ » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi,

My son is 11. The sonrise approach is very effective and generalizes. My son has unusual interests and I work with him by joining in with these interests in a collaborative way and expanding them into other interests that are main stream ones also. I also help him to find common interests with other children so they can both enjoy what they are playing together. And practice and discuss this with him. This didn't happen overnight. We started slowly with just his interests and have worked up to this point and it is still a work in progress. What I can say is that he is able to play with other children in such games as playing catch and pretend play with stuffed angry birds and play with dart guns un assisted. If another child likes pirates or spy's then he plays that and I assist some in that. He can totally play board games unassisted with other people. I wish you well whatever you decide to do.
SusanZ
SusanZ

Return to Older Children