How to deal with HUGE sensory issues?

How to deal with HUGE sensory issues?

Postby Sue-Ellen B. » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:12 am

Our little boy Enrique has a strong reaction to any sensory things. We are becoming more and more aware of when he is reacting to surroundings and are trying to eliminate some of these from him. We are limiting the grocery store trips and when we have people (other then family) around. However my biggest question right now is how do we deal with the every day things that irritate him, like meal times -(Lots of sound and smells and textures!!) and he often has a massive tantrum about the bath and other times it's fine...... I feel that he reacts a lot because he finds all his surroundings so hard to process and i'd like to know just what to try so it becomes easier for him to be around places that are going to be loud or unpredictable in smell/lights/volume?!

One example of his behaviors is he will hide himself in he floor rug or under the couch. Sometimes he'll pretend he has a sign with 'writting' on it that he says it says 'don't come in here' or i'm a solder and this is my sheild'. I feel that the 'sign' is his way of trying to put something up to just block out what is going on, and he same really goes for when he rolls himself under something. I just want to find some way to make him realize that we are okay with what his doing and also help him to find words that maybe decribe how he's feeling. :idea:

He turns 5 this january and we really want to be able to send him to school - even part time- in the fall. I know that to send him like he is now would be a cruel and unusal punishment. :)
Sue-Ellen B.

Re: How to deal with HUGE sensory issues?

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 am

Hello Sue-Ellen,

I sincerely apologize for the delayed response to your concerns!

We really applaud you for reaching out to help your son in such a great way and are here to support you in the best way we can.

First of all I would recommend looking into alternate therapies that compliment your Son-Rise Program and will give your son extra input for his sensory processing challenges. "AIT" and "The Listening Program" have helped many chilren with auditory processing challenges. "HANDLE" and "The Alert Program" use techniques and excersises to help regulate sensory processing challenges.

Using a playroom on a regular basis and working one to one with your son is going to be key to helping him. The Son-Rise Program playroom offers him a non-distracting environment where he gets large amounts of control in his life. Some of the behaviors he is doing could be his way of being exclusive or isming (stimming) and I would recommend that you join those things while you are in the playroom with him. For example, bring a tent or some blankets into the playroom and then when he goes under them, you go under your own blanket across the room from him. This will demostrate to him that you are loving and accepting his behavior and want to see what it's like in his world as a way to connect and build a rapport with him. You can even explain to him that you love to do what he does because that's what friends do.

In a world that is unpredictable to your son, he could also seeking control, so explaining the things that are going to happen during his day in advance will help him process his environment more and expect what is coming. Explaining for example "At 6 o clock it's bathtime" and telling him this several times before 6 o clock rolls around so that he is prepared for the change in his environment. Celebrate him for any flexibiity he shows ant tell him how much you love and want to help him.

We wish you all the best!

Becky
BeckyDamgaard

Return to Sensory Integration