waking up in the night (nightmares????)

waking up in the night (nightmares????)

Postby desireejayakody » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi All!
Having been reading on the messageboard for over a year now and it has been really helpfull to me. This is my first post, as Im sort of desperate....My son wakes up the night. It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes he sleeps right through for weeks, than all of a sudden it starts again. He wakes up every night..... I have never done, but now checking the time. He wakes up between 2-4. It starts with making some little noices (bit grumbling) than it slowly becomes more, and turns into screaming and kicking his bed. He says words like "bye", "finish", "gone" etc. I have tried everything. From talking to him softly, explaining that it's dark and that mamma wants to sleep. I have put the light on, I gave him water, tried to give him hugs (very dangerous, as he kicks all over the place). Last night I tried to be firm, trying to give him a big squeeze, after which he got more angry and bit me in the arm :-) If I put the light on he starts running up and down the room, jumping up and down. he bangs his head on the bed. He is really exhausting himself. Im starting to think it could be nightmares. Last night it took him 40 min. to calm down and go back to sleep. The night before it took him 2 hours. I really don't know anymore how to help him. I checked for worms and parasites (doesn't have, but Im not sure with our system in srilanka :-( I used homeopathic remedy) During the day he has his tantrums sometimes, and in 99% of the cases we do realise what is causing it, but in the night, I can't get it, and don't know what to do. Has anybody experienced something like this? I know lots of our kids wake up, but to screaming and kicking like this, and the words he uses, like he sees/feels something? Please help me! Thank you so much! Desiree
desireejayakody

Re: waking up in the night (nightmares????)

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi Desiree,

It's great to hear from you! Well I must say that you have experimented with many different things to help your son and that is very useful! So keep going, take note of what he is eating and drinking before he goes to sleep (he could be having a reaction to something). Is he watching TV, using the computer, playing video games at all during the day? He could be over-stimulated by this if so. Try changing the temparature in the bedroom, perhaps it's too hot and he needs to regulate himself so try a fan in the room.

Maybe you could play with the light in the room and start out with a small night light before he goes to sleep. You could try changing the furniture on the room around (when I was little I used to see the different furniture in the night and think it was ghosts). If you start out with a soft night light on then when you go to check on him, you will not need to turn the light on.

Protect yourself and avoid giving him hugs and squeezes at that time if you feel like he may hurt you. Instead, try offering him a pillow or beanbag that he can squeeze or kick so he can get his intense energy out. It's really important that you keep a calm, comfortable and relaxed attitude as you help him through this time. If you are getting uncomfortable in any way then it will add to the energy that is already happening giving him a reaction to feed off.

I would check on him once to make sure he is safe, clear the room of any hard objects that he might throw or hurt himself with and then go back to bed and allow him to work through this. Sometimes, the more attention you give, the more the issue will elevate. Please know that you are loving him, trying your best to help him and can still remain in the loving ad accepting Son-Rise program attitude even if you can't exactly figure out what's going on for him.

The next day, you could try asking him "What ws going on for you last night?" or "What did you mean when you shouted "Bye, finish, gone?"

Please let us know how it goes.

Warm regards,

Becky
BeckyDamgaard

Re: waking up in the night (nightmares????)

Postby desireejayakody » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi Becky!

Tks so much for your reply! Sorry i did not see it until know. I have to say, for the last 10 days or maybe even more, he slept right through! Yeah!! I don't as I wake up every few hours, but still Im so happy! Actually timmy is sleeping in our bedroom, as we turned his room into a playroom. what I did change was, that I kept an outside light on, so the room is not completely dark. Besides that I give him deep pressure on most of the joints, like shoulder, elbow, wrist, fingers, knies, feet, toes, hips. I do this now anyway 2-3 times a day. Other than that I give him a homeopathic remedy called camomilla 200. For the time being this works fine, so no ghosts anymore in the night... By the way, no timmy is not watching TV, no computers, no video games nothing of the sort, and i keep his bedrituals very low active. I will let you know how it goes in future. Hope everything is ok with you and the little one to come! love and hugs! desiree
desireejayakody

Return to Challenging Behaviors