Bitting by a classmate

Bitting by a classmate

Postby msacalifornia » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:19 am

My son who is 5, is attending a Special Day Class and he's been bitten for one of his classmates. This is the second time that this happens and the wound was deeper. My son is not yet verbal completely and when I asked him who did the bite to him, he just answers his own name. Also, he is very sweet, happy and very friendly. I am very worried about his safety, emotional and psychological sides, plus his performance is very poor there. The teacher just offered to have him close to her meanwhile he is there. I am going to suggest to change him of the classroom and she said I need to talk to the administrator. I am so frustrated and very sad because I have no choice. He needs to go to school (anywhere would be the same) because I need to work. I am a single mom. Do you know any truly good school where children can get the attention they deserve?
msacalifornia

Re: Bitting by a classmate

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:38 am

Hello,

I would love to offer you some support on this issue. We recommend that you take some time to go into the school and observe the environment your son is in for a couple of hours. Without really knowing what goes on at school and what kind things happen everyday, you won't be able to help him in the best way. If you have some vacation time left in your job, you could take a day off specifically to do this.

You can't control what othe children may do in the classroom but you could ask the teacher what happened and why she believes he got bitten and by whom. We also suggest that you read this blog written by one of our Son-Rise Program Teachers that gives you some guidelines in finding a school that work side by side nicely with your Son-Rise Program. Please follow the link below to find it.

http://blog.autismtreatmentcenter.org/2 ... chool.html

Warm regards,
Becky
BeckyDamgaard

Postby msacalifornia » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Thank you, thank you so much for the school information. About the other aspects, the school wants to keep everything 'confidential', I am the one who have been writing letters and making inquiries all the time. They are very protected of their school. Right now they say that they do not know what is going on. He was bitten again yesterday Tuesday. I talked to the principal and she order to move him to a different classroom. I still believe this is not a good fitting for my son. Al night long he was awaking up and sobbing, this morning he was so tired and barely wanted to get dressed and was saying all the time to me "no go school". He did not go to school. It was so sad because at least he loved to ride the bus. The day of the bite I needed to lift him to get into the bus even the driver help me to do the lifting. I felt so guilty when I knew about the incident again. THANKS AGAIN.
msacalifornia

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:52 am

Hello,

Well done for being active, talking to the principle and making enquiries. We agree that it is not the most supportive environment for your son which is why we always recommend that parents with children on the Autism Spectrum homeschool their children and run a Son-Rise Program for as long as possible or until they are ready for mainstream school. You have to trust your instincts as a parent and ask yourself what you want for your son?

If you are interested in receiving a support letter designed to show the school, please email me at becky@opton.org and I will send on to you.

Warm regards,
BeckyDamgaard

Postby msacalifornia » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:36 am

Hi Becky,
Thank you for your support. There is no question about it. I have the answer and I need to start immediately to work on that. I will be keeping in touch how things are going.
msacalifornia

Return to Challenging Behaviors