Team

Team

Postby Kimbapatty » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:35 am

Hi all,
I may not have posted this properly so I apologize if it's under new topic! I find it hard to know where to post a question on this bulletin board. But it won't stop me from trying!!!
I have a couple of questions about my team and team meetings:
First off is that some of my volunteers have been bringing stuff in on their own. They have always asked me first however sometimes very last minute and I wasn't sure. It never sounded like anything negative so I said OK knowing I would ask you guys eventually! So my thoughts were that instead of having them bring in their own ideas, we'd address the actual issue which I think is that they are running a little dry in the idea dept!
My son David LOVES elevators. I think really he loves sliding doors and they are on elevators!!! But as chance would have it, one of my volunteers, works at a company where they sell & install elevators!!!!! So he showed up once with an elevator book and plans for elevators. Another time he came with a whole bunch of 'glossy' cards, literature, with different looking elevators. Of course it was a great motivation for David but I ended up have a million papers in the playroom and I didn't find it was used in the most efficient way. One of our main goals now is eye-contact and him looking at them wasn't used as well as it could have I thought. Of course he could have put them up to his face and even showed them one by using anticipation. Also the book was like an installation textbook. It did have photos but again I wasn't sure it was used most effectively. Another volunteer brought in a box and they made an elevator with that. Again cool but my thoughts are that instead of people bringing stuff in I'd rather us use the meetings to brainstorm and think of things together. I haven't told them no b/c I know there's some good value there. Also with certain people bringing things in I don't want David to expect it and I don't want them feeling they 'need' to have something to be fun and creative. I think maybe they are thinking that. What do you think? Here's a thought: maybe I should just ask them!!!! If we come up with great ideas regarding elevators which I'm ALL for, is it better to have the toy in the room already???

Second question is regarding evaluations. I've had 3 meetings so far and will have my 4th this friday. I went to Start Up in Feb and have been going thru the manual since I got home but recently I read something under Team Meeting that I never knew and didn't understand. It mentioned the volunteers looking at their evaluation sheets. Do the volunteeers do evaluations too? I have been the only one doing it. If they do it, how do they do it? Is it 4 times over a 2 week period like the manual says for them too? I can't find any instructions or guidelines for them in the manual. Do they use the same eval as in the manual? Also I know there's one online but it seems different and less detailed than the one in the manual which I've been using. Which one do I use???
As you can see I need help!!! :) :D
THANKS IN ADVANCE
EVEN WITH ALL MY QUESTIONS I'M SO HAPPY TO BE DOING SON-RISE!!!
Kimbapatty

Re: Team

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi,

I am so excited to help you! First of all, all I can say is WOW! Look at all the work you are doing in running group meetings, creating a team of volunteers and having amazing questions! We love sharing this Son-Rise Program journey with you!

There are several things I want to say to support you:

1) Actually, we do recommend that your volunteers being in themes they have created at least once a week. It all depends on how many hours they do with David. If they do more than one session then we suggest you have them bring a theme for one of their sessions and then they play organically from what is in the playroom for the second session. This is because ideally we want them to have the balance of using their creativity spontneously in the playroom (building and initiating from what they have, from what's going on already), and also to use David's motivations to introduce him to new ideas that are actually from someone else (flexibility and interest in another person). This is definitely something to ask them all about individually and see what their own reasons for bringing the ideas in are. Then get together in the group meeting and brainstorm together exactly what themes to bring in for the next two weeks and who will be responsible for creating each theme.

2) What you take in to the playroom, you also take out! When someone brings something new into the playroom , it is their responsibility to also take it out when they leave. This will keep the playroom as distraction free as possible for David and help your volunteers to keep the playroom clean and safe. The only time I would leave something in there is if David is being controlling about it and doesn't want it to go.

3) Establishing goals and gearing our activities to those goals. It's great that you have picked eye contact as a goal for David. I would recommend that you also choose one or two more goals for him. Depending on his language ability and the length of time he is interactive, I would need to know more about him to help you with what to pick. Use the Son-Rise Program Developmental Model to establish where he is acquired and where he still needs some help. Share this in the next meeting and individually with your volunteers and brainstorm ways to match the goal with the theme they are bringing in. i sounds like from your knowledge, you could help them gain more focus with this.

4) It's important to give your volunteers regular feedback. This will be a time to get to know them, what their intentions are in the playroom and to help them know what to do. It will also be useful for you not to assume why they do things (they bring in their own ideas in because.......) but simply ask them in a loving and non-judgmental way.

5) When we bring new themes into the playroom here at Son-Rise, we always bring them with us at the beginning of the session, as opposed to having them in the playroom already. There are many reasons why we do this, one is that we want to present the theme in a fun and animated way and explain how the game is played to our children. Another one is that we are working on our children being interested in another persons ideas (flexibility). Another reason is that a transition into the playroom can often be a big green light from our children because it is a change of energy and our children will tend to turn and focus on us for longer.

6) For your questions about evaluation forms. There are two pieces of paperwork you need. One is the Son-Rise Program Developmental Model, you will find it under the "Social Curriculum" tab of your Son-Rise Program satrt-Up manual. That is for you, yourself to look at every few months and keep a track of what stage you think David is in for each fundamental. Then at the back of the "Planning" tab in your manual you will find bi-weekly child evaultion forms (there is one form for each stage of the developmental model). Pick the one you think most suits your child and have your volunteers fill in one or two of the categories after each session. each person who goes in the playroom should do this and then you all will share the observations in the group meeting. I recommend that you photocopy the appropriate form and give one to each team member, keep them in a file at your home and eventually work your way up to having them write something for each section. This will be a week by week tracking system for David to see what's working and not working.

I wish you all the best and hope this helps.

Warm regards,
BeckyDamgaard

Postby Kimbapatty » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 pm

WooHoo!
Hi Becky,
Thanks for your great helpful answer! I've been checking the Forum every day excitedly waiting a reply! Wow I have alot to do and am excited to do it! I'll do my best. I have already evaluated David and he's kind of at a different stages. For example he's stage 1 in eye contact and non-verbal commun, he's stage 2 in communication, I'd say almost stage 3 in interactive attention span and stage 3 in flexibility so I kind of feel he's averageing out in 2 if I had to pick just one.
I've gone over it with my volunteers but I will put all your suggestions into practice. I may have a follow up question :)
THANKS SO MUCH!!!
I'm am enjoying this so much and tell everyone about it.
I'm your greatest salesperson in Queens, NY!
God Bless
Patty
Kimbapatty

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:07 am

HI Patty,

That is so great! We are excited for you! It sounds like you are on the right track picking eye contact as your main goal. Please do let me know if you have any other questions, I will be happy to help!

I also wanted to ask you if you would be interested in connecting with another Son-Rise Mom who lives in NYC. She is always asking me if I know anyone she can contact nearby. She runs an amazing program with her 4 year old and I think you two would benefit from knowing one another.

Please let me know if you are interested. if you are then you can email me privately at becky@option.org and give me your email address so I can have her conatact you.

Warm regards,
BeckyDamgaard

Return to Training Your Support Team