Postby mariam.elkholy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:42 am

Hey everybody :) ,
I have a 9 aged daughter called Samaa
She throws everything from the window even her stuff that she love
she threw today the iron on a car and smashed it badly
she threw a very expensive book and her sister's sketch
she was going to throw my mobile and she threw it on the wall 3 times
she made horrible stuff :(
Also today and everyday she wakes as she likes (early or late) but she hits me and her sister
she did that today too and that's realy horrible and i dont know what to do :?: :!:
I need anyone reply as soon as possible ;)
mariam.elkholy

Re: Throwing , Throwing and Throwing

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi There!

I would love to help you! I am curious to know if you have set up a playroom yest? it sounds like her being in the Son-Rise playroom and having all that control in a ditraction free environment will help her manage her sensory processing system so she won't need to throw everything she sees.

When outside of the playroom, it is a matter of modifying your house a little bit. Perhaps closing the windows right now and having a fan instead so she is not tempted. If that's not possible then actually keeping all your valuables and things that are too heavy locked in one room in the house so she doesn't have access to them.

She could be looking for a reaction from you that she gets when she throws things so if she does actually get to something and it's too late, don't show her an excited reaction and try to stay calm and comfortable to break the pattern has been created.

Give her alternatives that are safe to throw at the wall or into a bucket, things that are also not expensive (e.g. those plastic eggs that break open or some soft balls).

I would look into her diet for her irregular sleep patterns. Putting her ona gluten free, casein free and sugar free diet could help.

Please follpw the links to these blogs for ideas of what to do when she hits you.

http://blog.autismtreatmentcenter.org/s ... 0Behaviors

http://blog.autismtreatmentcenter.org/2 ... nergy.html

http://blog.autismtreatmentcenter.org/2 ... art-2.html

http://blog.autismtreatmentcenter.org/2 ... viors.html
I wish you all the best!
BeckyDamgaard

Postby mariam.elkholy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:39 am

Hi ,
Thanks for your helpful reply !! :D I am sorry for the late reply .
We have done the diet nearly 5 years (till now)
Samaa did alot of medications for the every year since 2005 i think ;)
She did Hyberbaric Oxygen in Egypt ,in Germany and in America
we also did BioFeedback in Canada and we bought the program in Egypt
It made a big benifit for Samaa but and she is talking now but not aspeger
She says what she needs only and she has a lack of social connections
when her sister meet her friends in the club ,she cries because her sister cares about her friends
even if she talked to samaa , she can't communicate with her or her friends
About the playroom , May I ask you to describe to us the benefits and whats good in it
as we can't travel to America because school is in 17\9
We can do what you will say in the playroom in our house and i can help other autistic childrens that i know 8-)
I have also a problem that she drinks alot she can drink 20 liters per hour :lol: :lol:
She pee in any place she is in because of drinking
she can go to the toilet but she does it (not on purpose)
I HATE THIS !!1 :oops: :oops:
I am sorry if I have alot of questions
I thank you again for your reply :D
mariam.elkholy

Postby mariam.elkholy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:39 am

Hi ,
Thanks for your helpful reply !! :D I am sorry for the late reply .
We have done the diet nearly 5 years (till now)
Samaa did alot of medications for the every year since 2005 i think ;)
She did Hyberbaric Oxygen in Egypt ,in Germany and in America
we also did BioFeedback in Canada and we bought the program in Egypt
It made a big benifit for Samaa but and she is talking now but not aspeger
She says what she needs only and she has a lack of social connections
when her sister meet her friends in the club ,she cries because her sister cares about her friends
even if she talked to samaa , she can't communicate with her or her friends
About the playroom , May I ask you to describe to us the benefits and whats good in it
as we can't travel to America because school is in 17\9
We can do what you will say in the playroom in our house and i can help other autistic childrens that i know 8-)
I have also a problem that she drinks alot she can drink 20 liters per hour :lol: :lol:
She pee in any place she is in because of drinking
she can go to the toilet but she does it (not on purpose)
I HATE THIS !!1 :oops: :oops:
I am sorry if I have alot of questions
I thank you again for your reply :D
mariam.elkholy

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:34 am

Hello Again,

It's really wonderful to hear how much you have done and are currently doing to help your daughter. She is blessed to have such a loving and caring family.

I didn't understand 100% but I think you are asking about how to set up the playroom. Well I would set up a space in the house (her bedroom or a spare bedroom would be ideal) where you can lock the door and work with her one to one. Please view the "Autism Solutions" ideas on our website for more help of what to do in the playroom. See the link below:

http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org/co ... utions.php

For what to put in the playroom, you want to have plenty of soft things for her to throw, a couple of large yoga balls, maybe a small trampoline (depending how old and big she is) and things you can play with that she likes (e.g. pens and paper, books, dress up clothes, puppets/dolls, musical instruments). But nothing electronic or with batteries.

There are so many benefits to having a playroom, the main ones are that in that playroom your daughter will get much more control than if she's outside of the playroom. You will allow her to play with what she wants and if she's doesn't want to play with something, you will absolutely honor her "No". If she wants to ism (stim) then you will join her and wait until she shows some interest in you before you interact with her. This will show her that people are useful, attractive, easy to be with and she can trust them. They are predictable to her. It will be easier and more fun for her to connect with you and interact with you when you are going with her instead of against her in some way.

Around the house, or outside of the house, you may have to be setting lots of boundaries and saying "No" to her much more, so she doesn't get that experience that people are great and fun to be with! Also, her world will seem "out of control" to her so when she gets control in the playroom, she can relax, unwind and focus in on people more easily. The second benefit to the playroom is that she does not have any distractions (e.g. the window to throw things out of, or sensory overload coming in at her from all angles), again making it much easier for her to focus and attend to things for longer.

About her drinking too many fluids. This is a case of you setting boundary on how much she drinks. You are her parent so as her caregiver, so you can say how much she can drink. I would limit her fluids and explain to her that she only gets so much per day and then when it's all gone, it's all gone.

I terms of her peeing, limiting what she drinks will help. Keeping her in the playroom and getting a camping toilet will be a way to more easily facilitate her when she looks like she is ready to go. She could also be looking for a reaction from you when she does this (perhaps you feel uncomfortable when this happens). Maybe you could lay down some tarpaulin to protect the floor for now while you help her to use the toilet consistently.

I hope this has been helpful.

Warm regards,

Becky
BeckyDamgaard

Return to Challenging Behaviors