New at joining

New at joining

Postby kathyfoster » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:08 pm

We just got back from the start up program, and I've been in the playroom with my grandson the last two days for a couple of hours. I don't remember what to do when you are joining your child and they look over and see your book/car etc, and they take it, what you are suppose to do. Since he did not make eye contact I just got another book and moved a little farther away from him. Some of the time he'll still look at what I have and then take it, or just look as if he is just seeing what I have. Any help with this would be great. I just need a refresher from what we learned.

Grandma K.K.
kathyfoster

Re: New at joining

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:57 am

Hi Grandma K.K,

It's great to have you on board! Nice job working with and loving your Grandson in this amazing way!

If you are joining him and he takes the things that you are joining with, celebrate him for taking the item (e.g. "I love that you took my car, I love sharing with you") because it models how people are easy to be with and what a great friend you are. Then get another item and contonue to join him. If he continues to take each thing you join with, I would experiment with joining with an item that is slightly different or that you know he's not interested in so that you can really experience joining! For example, if he is looking at a book exclusively, I might take a couple of sheets of blank A4 paper, fold them in half and pretend it's a book.

Have fun!
BeckyDamgaard

Return to Other