18 month olds

18 month olds

Postby kathyfoster » Sat May 21, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm new here and we are seriously thinking of going to Son-rise program. Our grandson has not been diagnosed but is showing signs of autism. The hardest thing is playing with him he is 18 months old. Do you have any suggestions for these young children as far as games. He can put a chunky puzzle together, he does a shape sorter, but geting him to speak has been a challenge.

Thanks for any help,

Kathy
kathyfoster

Re: 18 month olds

Postby Suki » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:27 pm

Hi Kathy,
I'm really excited for you that you have discovered the Son-Rise Program. As a Son-Rise Program Mum who has run a program for 2 years, I would wholeheartedly encourage you to read some of the books recommended on the website and arrange a free phone call with one of the Son-Rise Program family counsellors to help you decide if this is the right program to help your grandson.

The activities you describe are things that a child can do alone, but they can also be made interactive if you approach them differently. If he is routinely playing by himself, you could offer to play with him, supplying the pieces for his shape sorter/puzzle one by one, encouraging him to make eye contact with you by holding them 2 inches in front of the bridge of your nose. Give him lots of praise if he looks, however briefly, but don't with-hold the shape when he doesn't look. Be really excited and enthusiastic about his activity.

If he doesn't want you to join in his game, get your own shape sorter (it doesn't have to be identical) and show him how interested you are in what he is doing by doing the same activity alongside him.

By "joining" him repeatedly, you can begin to build connection. Son-rise also teaches techniques which will help with developing speech and helping the child find the motivation for communicating with language.

I strongly recommend you have a good look round the web-site - there is so much wonderful help there to get you started.

The Son-rise Program has been a life-line to me and my family, and to many others. My advice would be not to wait for a diagnosis, but to try out some of the techniques and see if you see results. One thing is for sure, you will do no harm by trying!

Best wishes,
Suki
Suki

Postby kathyfoster » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:21 am

Suki, My daughter-in-law and I went to Sheffield last week and are now back and ready to play. Thanks so much for your encouragement. We have already started working with Max, but are working on getting a playroom together. We work in my bathroom as of now which works fine, but he needs one at his house.

Son-rise is truly a blessing and the people we met will be life long friends.

Love Kathy
kathyfoster

Postby we_will_win » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:23 pm

hi,

my daughter has just been diagnosed with autism. she is 19 months old.

i am planning to go to MA to attend a seminar in December, have just ordered the starter kit.

I am trying to get started implementing from what i read on a website, but firsthand experience and input from parents who have been running the program with such young children would be greatly appreciated!!!

she has no language yet and her eye contact is very minimal (only when i feed her). Would you please share anything i can start using now before going to MA. thank you!
we_will_win

Postby kathyfoster » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:02 pm

we-will-win,

I'm so very sorry that I have not responded to this post. We have been sooo busy. Did you get to start up in Dec?

Please, Please give me a call at 254-291-3057, I would love to talk to you and give you any encouragment that you might need.

We have been running our son-rise play room for our grandson for seven months now, and we have gotten amazing results.

Kathy Foster
Belton Texas
kathyfoster

Return to Inspirational Stories