Playroom toys

Playroom toys

Postby Kimbapatty » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:43 am

Hello, I recently attended the Start Up in Feb 2011 and it rocked!!! I'm doing almost 2 hrs a day in the playroom and am soon starting to recruit volunteers! I had a question about toys. I have the list off the web-site but several things I cannot find on the web-sites. A few examples are: phone a friend from small world toys, jumbo letters from educational insights, up and down puzzle also from small world toys to name a few. Do you know where I could get these elsewhere? Also I know Bessie in the Barnyard is no longer available but in your description of it being a board game with many possibilities for variation expansion and interaction can you tell me how b/c I'd like to find something similar. Do you know another game like it or can you elaborate a bit how it works? Also my son likes to make play-doh letters. We do that alot in the playroom together but is that really interactive? Should I not have it in the playroom?
Thanks so much!!!
Kimbapatty

Re: Playroom toys

Postby amanzo4jc » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi Kimbapatty,

I wish I could offer more help concerning some of the items you are searching for, but I really just wanted to respond to your last question concerning the play-dough. We've been doing Son-Rise 8 months and our son Liam is two and a half. He can really get into silly putty (since he still tries to eat play-dough). If it is something your child loves than YES you want it in the playroom, even if it means you will be joining with the toy/activity rather than interacting right away. Joining is so foundational to building the connection and trust your son needs to continue to open up and interact with you. If your son makes eye contact with you or looks at what you are doing as you join him, you can excitedly make something different than letters and see if this interests him. If it does not, that is the cue he is really 'isming" with this activity and not quite ready to be interactive. Some of my son's 'isms' have actually become very interactive games as I joined, waited for green lights, and 'added one more thing.'

In your search for playroom toys, the one thing I have learned through my follow-up consultations since I attended the Start-Up last August is that the more versatile the toy, the better. Toys are only as good as the social interaction they lend. You can even create games/card ideas if you cannot find them in circulation. Be creative, have fun, and remember YOU are the greatest asset in the playroom. Blessings to you and all you are doing!!!
amanzo4jc

Postby SusanHumphries » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Hello Kimbapatty
I so excited that you really enjoyed the Start Up. Amanzo4jc really summed it up well. :mrgreen: I just had some additional thoughts.
Anytime you are creating themes or thinking of games you want to play with your child the very first thing to start with are your child’s motivations. It sounds from your message that he really enjoys letters, using his hands and barnyard animals.
Then next thing to consider is what skill you want to help him grow in. You can gain great insight by reviewing the Social Developmental Model http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org/fi ... -model.pdf. We recommend consider only a few goal at a time. For example, maybe for the next few month you will really work on eye contact to start and continue the interaction, lengthening his interactive attention span, and clear single words.
When designing your game imagine yourself having so much fun presenting the game, showing him how it is played, giving him a lot of what he is motivated for and then inviting him to participate within one of his goals.
Here is an example of how simple it is. One motivation is for letters. Maybe a goal in mind is lengthening his attention span. Bring in big colorful alphabet letters to the playroom. Make a silly song for each of them. Hang them from the ceiling. When he looks at you grab one letter and sing the song representing the letter. All you have to do is entertain him with your song and dance. If he is still captivated for a few minutes then give him another role of pulling down the next fun letter for you to sing.
Have fun in all of your presentation and remember to celebrate all of your son’s participation (e.g. Eye Contact, Physical participation, language, etc.)
Have fun and post any questions you may have.
:lol:

Susan
Susan Humphries
The Son Rise Program ™ Teacher
SusanHumphries

Postby Kimbapatty » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks Susan. I loved your answers and suggestions.
David has no interest in barnyard animals but I just was trying to get the stuff that were suggested! But he does love letters and I love your ideas! He is highly verbal but his eye-contact and attention span are some definate goals of mine. Thanks for giving the the idea of how to present ideas. That will really help me. I'm 2.5 hrs in the playroom so far and working towards 4 a day!!
Kimbapatty

Return to Creating an Optimal Learning Environment