Green light

Green light

Postby salamanca » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi, Im struggeling a bit in what to do when I get a green light from my son. I was just for the starter up in London. My son (who is 2) has responded really well and is now daily using words. He uses alot of eye contact & is more interactive. He can understand more things.
So everyting is better then we expected it to be. Using the 3 es & joining is no problem. It is what to do when I get that green light that I need inspiration with.
Help!
salamanca

Re: Green light

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:22 am

Hello,

It's wonderful to hear all of the changes your son has made in this short time since the Start-Up Program. The work you have put in is paying off! We are sending you all a big cheer!

When your son gives you a green light
1) Looks at you.
2) Talks to you or makes a sound.
3) Gives you a physical cue (e.g. takes your hand, sits in your lap, touches you).
4) Looks at the shelf or what you are doing.

You can
1) Build (add one new thing to what you are doing). For example, if you are joining your child in an activity or with an object, make something happen. If you are looking at a book and flipping the pages together and he looks at you, begin to read your book in a fun and animated way. If you are jumping and he makes a sound, celebrate him and sing a song as you jump.

2) Initiate (create a game of yor own). For example, if your son doesn't have anything particular in his hands or is not doing a repetitious activity and gives you a green light, begin to do a dance for him or offer him a tickle. If he looks at the shelf, grab the bubbles and begin to blow them for him.

There is no perfect idea and you will need to try different things to find what your son enjoys. The main thing is that you are having fun as you add a new idea.

If he responds to the your action (e.g. smiles, laughs, keeps looking, comes over to you, stops what he is doing, then just keep going and having fun entertaining him). You are working on eye contact, interactive attention span and having your son connect with you.

Enjoy!

Warm regards,

Becky Damgaard (Son-Rise Program Teacher)
BeckyDamgaard

Postby Sunshine » Thu May 09, 2013 12:06 am

Hi Becky,
I,m also having problem deciding wht to do in a green light.
When we flip pages from a book together he looks at me for 2 seconds sometimes more and I celebrate it, however I don't see this as a green light bcause he still continues isming.
I reconize a green light when he drops what he is doing and comes to me, looks at me and says "tickle arm" we can play the tickle game for at least half an hour-45 minutes. Although I am building, I try to initiate a new game and he just wants tickles. How do I get him to get interested in something else?
Do I just continue with the tickle game until he wants to stop?
Sunshine

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed May 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Hello,

Thank you for reachimg out for help! It sounds like your son is doing an amazing job of showing you when hes ready to interact with you! It's wonderful that you are recognizing his cues!

It sounds like waiting for a stronger green light (more than a glance) is the way to go with him so keep doign what you are doing. Simply celebrate the looks he gives you with the book and go back to joining him flipping the pages.

If the tickle game is repetitious thn you could start working on flexibility or language with him in a stronger way. For example, when he asks you to tickle him, give him tickles for a few minutes and then when he is really motivated, bring in some objects or a new idea. One example is you could tickle him with puppets, or sing a tickle song for each body part that you tickle. Or if working on languaage, ask him to use more descriptive language to get what he wants (e.g. when he says "tickle arm" you could give him big tickles and small tickles, tiget tickles and monkey tickles, then ask him which one he wants). You can also call him back to the game when he walks away. be playful, (e.g. "Hey, I was giving you tickles, come back for more!").

Have fun!
BeckyDamgaard

Return to Developing Your Child's Language