Hitting :)

Hitting :)

Postby stickywicket » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Hello all! I am an experienced volunteer currently living with a beautiful London Son-Rise family! Their amazing boy is 6 years old and we have seen massive changes in him since coming back from the Intensive in October. This family are finding their feet with the program and have made massive lifestyle changes in order to implement it :)
Outside the room, this sweet boy enjoys his family's and my company and he and I have an amazing connection both in and out of the room however he has started to hit and kick me a lot in the presence of his parents, I am showing a consistent response however they are giving this a MASSIVE reaction!!! I have mentioned to the parents that this is what he's looking for but to no avail, and I'm covered in cuts and bruises at the moment :) Any suggestions?
xx
stickywicket

Re: Hitting :)

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi There!

This is Becky, Son-Rise Program Teacher here at The Autism Treatment Center of America. It's so wonderful to hear about all the changes that this family has made to help their son and the are lucky to have you to help them on their journey!

I love that you shared that you are not showing a reaction to this. I would also take a look at how you, yourself feel about his parents giving a massive reaction to his hitting and kicking you. Can you treat see them the same as you do the child? Can you relax into being comfortable and relaxed with their actions? And know they are doing the best they can based on what they know and believe? This sweet boy could be getting a different kind of payoff, so it's going to be useful to really check in with yourself on all levels.

Next, once you are sure you are comfortable with this, and only when you feeling super easy and loving, explain to them that you, yourself are ok with the hitting/kicking and would they mind if when he hits/kicks you that they would allow you to deal with that? Explain that when there are three people involves it nakes it bigger than it needs to be.

I am excited to hear how this goes.

Lots of love to you an the family!
BeckyDamgaard

Postby mariam.elkholy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi , :D
I have the same problem with my daughter Samaa :oops:
She is realy hurting her sister and my hand looks realy bad ! :|
I am trying to be consitent with her but she does it badly !!!!!
Her friends at school are scared from her and ignoring her always
Her teachers are ignoring her too and don't want to give her lessons
except few teachers but she does massive problems !!
Samaa is in a normal school but in a special problems class
She got the bad behavior from her classmates which realy made me sad
I need suggestions because i didn't find an answer with the egyptian doctors and instructors
(P.S:We are from Egypt not in United States)
I had some but are not working with Samaa :!:
I need suggestions before it is too late to fix Samaa :mrgreen:
mariam.elkholy

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:08 pm

BeckyDamgaard

Return to Challenging Behaviors