Autism & Downs Syndrom

Autism & Downs Syndrom

Postby simski » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Hello there,
I have been working with special children and Son-Rise for 10 years now. I did, some years ago meet a 4-year-old boy with Downs Syndrome and Autism. He too had some challenging behaviors, biting and pinching people and was thought to be non-verbal. When I was ask to work with him I asked his careers to not intervene when/if he bit or pinched, they agreed. They all so told me he liked the "a sailor went to sea" song sang to him so I sang it for him a few times, he did seam to like it. Then I stopped and waited, he motioned me to sing it again so I did and told him he could say "A" next time. I finished the song and waited again then he went to bite me, I reminded him that he could say "A" he stopped, looked at me and said "A". Big celebration from me and I sang the song. We did this for every word of the song till we were both singing the whole song together it was so beautiful oh and he didn't try to bite much till he was taken to the home bus.

Much Love Simon *o*
:D
simski

Re: Autism & Downs Syndrom

Postby mphorsley » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:18 pm

I teach children in elementary school who have special needs, too. Some have autism, one has down syndrome, etc. My assistant has an inoperable brain tumor and refuses to play with these kids. I feel like they thrive on play and conversation. How do I get this across to the assistant? I can work with 5 older boys, and still keep abreast of what she is doing or not doing . What gets really frustrating is when I read about all the different methods of treating autism. It seems like the best ones are the most expensive ones and they are all trying to sell products.
mphorsley

Postby CarolinaKaiser » Wed May 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi Simon - This is such a wonderful story - wow - thank you for sharing! It is so beautiful that you are helping so many people in the world - and making such a huge impact. The children you're helping are so lucky to have you!

Sending you love from all of us,
Carolina
Son-Rise Program Teacher
The Autism Treatment Center of America
CarolinaKaiser

Postby CarolinaKaiser » Wed May 05, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi mphorsley - I would love to help and give you some suggestions for your classroom. It is so wonderful that you are focused on playing with the children in your classroom. We have seen that play is one of the most fundamental keys to helping children. When children are motivated, they are more likely to learn and grow - and they are more able to generalize the skills they learn when they learn those skills through fun and motivating activities.
I'd first like to suggest that you take advantage of the free resources on our website. I think there are so many videos that would really help you (and your assistant, if she is interested in watching them with you). There are videos on numerous topics - creating games, teaching language, helping higher-functioning children, etc. You can access our video library here:

http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org/contents/other_sections/autism-treatment-webcasts.php.

I would also be happy to help you with specific questions on how to help your children via this message board - so feel free to post more questions any time you'd like.

To give you some suggestions to start:
1) Your focus on play and motivation is key. Help the children feel excited to play with you - by creating activities for them based on their motivations and interests. Kids love it when you follow their lead and make them the one in charge of what you're playing. Continue your focus on play and fun in the classroom - this sounds great!
2) One sure-fire way to create motivation for children is to celebrate them - for looking at you, for talking to you (even if they've talked to you before - it's still exciting that they're being social!), for interacting with you, for following your instructions... The list is endless - but the focus is clear - celebrate, celebrate, celebrate - kids love it! (You can quietly whisper your celebrations, sincerely share how excited you are, cheer in a big way, etc.)
3) And maybe you could even apply idea #2 to your assistant. I see every day that people really do the best they can with what is going on for them at the time. If your assistant has an inoperable brain tumor, perhaps she'd just really like to know that what she's doing is good. I'm sure you can find things to celebrate about her work and her time with the children. By celebrating her, you'll be building more of a relationship with her and maybe she'll be more open to following your lead in the future.

Wishing you all the best - and looking forward to your questions!
Carolina
Son-Rise Program Teacher
The Autism Treatment Center of America
CarolinaKaiser

Postby IamCured » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:35 am

Hi,

I'm Kelsey any my parents brought me up to the Option Institute when I was three. I am now a thriving and healthy young adult, and I admire your persistence in helping others. I aspire to volunteer with autistic children, as I was one fourteen years ago. Continue your search for answers and therapies, and visit the Option Institute. That's what cured me, the love, patience, and hope of my parents and volunteers there. Mr. Barry Kaufman is one amazing man and contacting him will get your child/children on the road to recovery and possible cure of autism.

I hope this helped,

K
IamCured

Return to Inspirational Stories