Getting started at 11

Re: Getting started at 11

Postby stephmike » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:41 pm

Dear Son-Rise parents, My wife and I ran a son-rise program for three and a half years for our son Dylan from 2004-2007, from the ages of 6-9 years. It was without a doubt the most powerful, spiritual and positive thing we could ever do for our son, our relationship and our entire family.

In 2007 we had a graduation for Dylan attended by many of his two dozen volunteers from over the years. I moved to a new job in a new community closer to family and we left our circle of love behind.....altough we stay in touch with many of our great volunteers.

Upon arrival in Nova Scotia, we sent Dylan off to regular school for the first time ever. We attribute his ability to fit in and to cope at school to our program. We were confident in his abilities and although we built a playroom in our new house we have not used it much of late. As Dyl gets older, the challenges get greater and he needs us and his playroom again. He talks of girls and his desire to have more friends but it is getting more difficult for him. Now in the playroom it is more about talking through the issues then playing games. He remembers the room as the place where the unconditional love flows...and he still needs it and asks for it! I also need the opportunity to give it as I have gotten out of practice. I am looking forward to this part of the journey.....adolesence. If interested perhaps we can commuicate our experience , strength and hope.

Love,

Mike
stephmike

Previous

Return to Older Children