biomedical testing

biomedical testing

Postby laurieviolet1 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:44 am

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any information on biomedical testing in the uk. I have starting my little girl on a GFCF diet which has proved to be very rewarding. I wanted to get her urine, stool and blood tested to start taking supplements. Has anyone had this done? is there a specific labortory in the uk that do these tests for autistic children? Please help.

Toni
laurieviolet1

Re: biomedical testing

Postby SusanHumphries » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:26 pm

Hello Toni

We celebrate you for your efforts to support your daughter in her wellbeing. The Son Rise program creates a highly supportive environment and attitude when working with diet. Please let us know if you have any questions in regards in ways to encourage healthy foods. We cheer you on your journey with her.

I am curious if you have looked into the DAN website, http://www.autism.com/pro_providers.asp . Here you should be able to find a physician who can at least direct you to a lab.

With supportive and fun thoughts, :P
Susan
Susan Humphries
The Son Rise Program ™ Teacher
SusanHumphries

Re: biomedical testing

Postby Suki » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi,
Yes, there is a lab at the University of Sunderland which investigates the impact of diet on autism. They will do urine samples for a relatively modest fee, but I'm not sure how useful the results are, as they are not conclusive.
We decided not to go that route, but just tried modifying diet to see if it had an impact. If you remove casein (dairy) products from your child's diet, you will usually see some results within a month. The effects of gluten removal can take much longer - some say up to a year.
In my son's case, we saw no impact from removing dairy, but he told us 6 months later that the stomach pains had ceased after dairy removal (what stomach pains?!). We also saw significant improvement in his alertness after one week off gluten, and a general improvement in diet after that.
I would recommend giving it a try. There are some good books on the market to help you get started, such as "The Kid-friendly Autism and ADHD diet book".
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Suki

Return to Diet and Biomedical Interventions