sensory issues

sensory issues

Postby claire » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi
New to the forum which is amazing and would love some advice anything would be greatly appreciated.
My beautiful wee boy Rory aged two has ASD. He has sensory issues and is under sensitive to light,movement and touch.
He looks out corner of eyes frequently whilst walking up and down ie the table.His peripherial vision is really good but depth perception appears to be a problem.
He puts his eyes up to lights on toys or TV and will flick fingers in front of eyes.
I have bought fibre optic lamps etc to try and stimulate his eyes but nothing seems to work.He does these behaviours more when tired and unwell.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to stimulate his eyes.??
Thanks Claire
claire

Re: sensory issues

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Hi Claire,

What wonderful insights you have into your son Rory! Having a Mum like you who is aware and eager to help him will make all the difference for him. Some families have had some succes with prism glasses and vision therapy. Have you looked into those?

In the Son-Rise Program playroom we would use big physical movements in our play (e.g. running across the room, bouncing on the therapy ball for him, dancing, etc) and also bring in visually stimulating games (e.g. ping pong balls palling out of a bucket or colorful ribbons taped to popsicle sticks that we can move around for him when he gives us green lights).

I wish you all the best in finding more support for him.

Warm regards,

Becky
BeckyDamgaard

Re: sensory issues

Postby claire » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi Becky
Thank you so much for replying i really appreciate it.
Your advice was really useful.I have not heard of vision therapy etc so now looking into it.
Also your ideas for games have been great.
Has not been seen by OT as she felt it was more a behavioural problem but i really feel it is a sensory issue.
We live in Scotland and son rise program has yet to come here but hopefully will soon as it sounds brilliant.
Thanks again
Claire :)
claire

Return to Sensory Integration