Playroom setup.

Playroom setup.

Postby Orion_74 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi,

Our son, who is on the spectrum just turned 6 this August, and we are from the Philippines. He has speech therapy every day, as well as occupational therapy.

My wife and I do biomedical as well as GFCF Diet. I have seen the movie as well as read a couple of the books and have the DVD with Raun's photo on it.

And I'm very excited to try out the methods to help our son. I would love to try and sign up for a startup program someday, however December Start Up is just way too close, and we have other things to prioritize in terms of our budget at the moment.

I have searched the web high and low on how to set up a playroom, but none poped out about how to go about it.

Could anyone help me?

Presently our family den/TV room is where he plays as well as his "study room" where he has his recommended follow up after speech and Occupational Therapy are done for the day.

Thanks for any help you can give us. :)
Orion_74

Re: Playroom setup.

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:50 pm

Hello,

The main element in your Son-Rise Program playroom is that you want it to be failry basic, non-distracting and easy to be in, to keep safe and to clean. A way to lock the door is important to maintain the environment. We recommend you have shelves fairly high on the wall to keep things organized and facilitate more communication with your child. The room can contain props and games to play depending on what age your child is and what they enjoy already. The exception being electronic or battery operated toys. Examples of things for the shelf are balls, bubbles, paper and markers, books, musical instruments, blocks, dress-up clothes, figurines/soft toys or puppets and a couple of blankets. Large therapy balls are great (two of them is ideal) and a small trampoline, and /or slide (optional). If your child is potty trained, a toilet or potty willl be extremenly useful. Keep plenty of snacks, drink and change of clothes in the playroom so there is no need to leave and wipes, paper towels, tissues for any clean up needed.

Ideally, you would also need as way to observe for training others to work with your child. This can be done by installing a camera or a viewing window and baby monitor or speaker system.

Have fun!
BeckyDamgaard

Return to Creating an Optimal Learning Environment