When do you sart with academics?

When do you sart with academics?

Postby SimonaSchoemetzi » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:34 am

Hi there,

our Irina (5) is showing more and more interest in letters and numbers. She loves to play school with her sister!
Up to now, I haven't introduced any academics in the playroom. But, within a years time, school is going to be mandatory for her (here in Germany, homeschooling is not permitted). So, I am wondering at what point to start bringing academics into the playroom.
Are there any clues to look out for?

I see a slight risk that she might be more interested in the academics than in the person presenting them.
On the other hand, I think our support in the playroom with "school topics" will enable her to show the teachers that there's no need to send her to a special education class.

So, is it okay to just be led by her interests? - I guess, then it's my job to wrap academic skills into a game so fun she'll want to play it with me. Did I get that right?
If anyone would like to share some ideas on that I'd be very grateful!

KInd regards
Tanja
SimonaSchoemetzi

Re: When do you sart with academics?

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:32 am

Hi Tanja,

You've got it! have fun!
BeckyDamgaard

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 am

Just another thought on this! Being that her challenges are social (eye contact, communication, interactive attention span, and flexibility). It's going to be beneficial to help her prepare for her school experience in those areas. She is already showing an interest in the academics which are indeed about "things" and not people. So trusting that she will do well in this area is key. Instead, focusing on role playing in the playroom what her day might look like (e.g. we sit at the table, we have a set schedule, we listen to the teacher, we play at recess, etc) whill lend itself more toward her social growth. The academics will sort themselves out over time.

Warm regards,
BeckyDamgaard

Postby SimonaSchoemetzi » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:06 pm

Instead, focusing on role playing in the playroom what her day might look like...
That's a great idea! - I can use letters or numbers etc. to catch her attention and go from there what school is all about furthermore. I'll try that! - Thanks!!
SimonaSchoemetzi

Return to Increasing Attention Span