Advertizing for volunteers - what's wrong?

Advertizing for volunteers - what's wrong?

Postby SimonaSchoemetzi » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 am

Hi there,

this is the text I used for an add on several german babysitting platforms.
Can anybody help me improve the text? Somehow it doesn't seem to be successful.

With our 5-year-old, possibly autistic daughter, we are working on a "Son-Rise Program" and are urgently looking for more volunteers. There is no special training required, just the pleasure to get involved with the child and to play enthusiastically. Any other training will be provided!
The "Son-Rise Program" was awarded best Autism Treatment in America last year - but is still largely unknown in Germany.
For you, there is the extraordinary opportunity to be part of it, to change the life of this little girl. - In return, you may find that this process also will not leave you untouched.

Desirable would be 2 hours, 2 to 3 times per week over a period of at least 6 months.

Two people asked what they would be supposed to do. And this was my answer:

I am glad for your interest!
We are looking for volunteers to play with our daughter about 2 to 3 times per week for 2 hours . Essentially, it's about getting involved in playing with a non-judgmental and optimistic attitude. When the relationship between the child and the volunteer has grown, the next step is to offer variations, to initiate something new.

And then I never herd from them again.
There are so many students advertizing on those platforms and I sent it to dozens of them.
Can anyone give me a clue, whether there's something wrong with the text?
Does someone have an idea why hardly anybody responded?

Many thanks in advance!
Tanja
SimonaSchoemetzi

Re: Advertizing for volunteers - what's wrong?

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:21 am

Hi Tanja,

How wonderful that you are on the road to finding volunteers! We are excited for you!

Here are some thoughts:

1) Is there an option to include a photo? Seeing an image of you playing and interacting with Irina will be very impactful to the reader.

2) Instead of writing "Possibly Autistic daughter" you might say instead something like "Autistic symptoms" or "Autistic Traits" so that people can relate to what that means more easily.

3) Include a link to our website so readers can get informed before they contact you. Kowing more about what the program looks like will cut out some of the work for you and will help people take initiative to do some research.

4) About the comitment. Speaking from personal experience, having volunteered in six Son-Rise Programs, until I had actually met my first Son-Rise Program child and his Mother and heard more about what they were doing, I wouldn't have imagined I would have the time to commit to three times per week. Then I fell in love with him and what they were doing! I realized that I could experience personal growth from doing this, somehow it was then easier for me to find the time. So taking out the commitment piece and discussing that with them later once they are interested would be my advice.

All the best!
BeckyDamgaard

Re: Advertizing for volunteers - what's wrong?

Postby SimonaSchoemetzi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi Becky,

thank you so much for your advice!- I just edited my adds.
I'll try to get a picture, too. My husband doesn't want us to be recognized, but just the two of us jumping on the mattress, not so close-up, might work. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I'll let you know how responses increase! ;)

Love,
Tanja
SimonaSchoemetzi

Return to Families Looking for Volunteers