Anyone from Australia

Anyone from Australia

Postby narelle smith » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:40 am

Hi,
I am wanting to connect with anyone in Australia or any one that wants to help and volunteer that has had training with the Son Rise Program that might like to work in Australia/working holiday.
I have a non verbal 8 year old. I have had to remove him from 2 schools as the treatment of my son has been appauling. I am inspired by my son Brandon and owe him nothing less than getting the best support we can to let him reach his full potential.
Look forward to connecting with anyone that wants to chat and share experiences from anywhere.
Regards Narelle
narelle smith

Re: Anyone from Australia

Postby Josie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Hello Narelle,

My son is 3.5yrs old and recently diagnosed as autistic with global developmental delay. I have a 25 minute counselling session Nov 30th that I'm looking forward to re: asking about the Son-Rise program and how to make it work in Australia. From what I can tell as a parent/future therapist you need to do one of their inhouse programs in the US then return to Australia and continue by yourself with phone support. It would be great to get a hub of the Son-Rise program here.

Regards,

Josie.
Josie

Postby Josie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:01 pm

Dear Narelle,

I'm looking at the SonRise Program for my son too - he's 3.5yrs. We live in Brisbane - where do you live? Kind regards, Josie.
Josie

Postby Josie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:31 am

Hello Narelle,

I'd love to talk with you about getting the Son-Rise Program to Australia in 2013. I too have a son with autistic behaviours. My contact details are: josephadietrich@hotmail.com
07 3166 8518.

Kind regards,

Josie.
Josie

Postby narelle smith » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:09 am

Hi Josie,
We live in Melbourne in the far north suburbs in a place calked Wandong.
I attended the son rise program in Melbourne in late November. I am led to believe there will be another seminar in April 2012.
How are things progressing since you posted me?
I will send you an email. My details are: Narelle_smith_au@yahoo.com.au
I look forward to chatting more.
Thanks for the post.
Narelle
narelle smith

Postby Kiwi Lisa » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi Josie and Narelle

It's great to hear you're interested in Son-Rise! There is quite a big Australian SR community, some of whom I'm friends with. They don't connect on this forum often since they are busy folks with their own home-based programs running! There are already some child facilitators based in Australia, or who visit Australia regularly - and I see from your post Narelle it looks like start-up programs also running in Ozzy (yay!)

Josie, if you haven't already done so, I suggest you get the SR starter pack (which is quite cheap) and the free initial phone consult. Even if you don't have the funds to go to the start-up program, there are a lots of good ideas in these documents which you can implement immediately with very little cost. Also lots of useful stuff on this website. Like setting up a non-distracting teaching room in your house (playroom), and focusing on positive attitude, excitement, energy and enthusiasm (3 E's) while encouraging your child to learn whatever things you are wanting to teach.

If you can possibly afford it, I do highly recommend one or both parents attend the start-up course.

If you do go to startup, you may be able to quote each other as reference to get them and yourselves a discount.

Regarding my input - I'm volunteering for a SR program in Canada, and am a "fan" of the program. I'm not paid by SR or trained other than my volunteer training - but I do have friends all around the world doing SR and they are all really really positive about the results with their kids, both in their learning, and in the reduction of tantrums, screaming, violent behaviour, etc. This email is my opinion and assistance because I really like to see folks dealing with autism get the best chance possible for your wonderful children! (Whether via SR or any other program or methodology that achieves what you want to achieve!)

I love what you guys are doing, and that you are connecting via this forum. Wishing you the best and lots of hope for your kids!

Cheers,
Kiwi Lisa
Kiwi Lisa

Postby kate_115 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:42 am

Hi Josie, Lisa and Narelle,

I am an experienced Sonrise volunteer, from the UK, living in Perth. I moved to Perth about 6 months ago and would love to start volunteering with a family over here, but don't really know how to find one...! I tried posting on the message board but didn't receive any replies. I was just wondering if you would know of anyone who is doing a programme in Perth that is in need of volunteers?

Hope to hear from you.

Many thanks,
Kate Hall
kate_115

Postby narelle smith » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi Katie,
No I an sorry I am not aware of any families in Perth. I am not sure where you have posted your add but Gumtree can be a useful place to advertise or find jobs that way.
If you decide to visit Melbourne our door is open if it interests you.
Regards Narelle, goodluck and I hope you enjoy your time here in oz
narelle smith

Postby Josie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:43 pm

Hello Folks,

Just a quick email to say I've read your posts and tried responding individually but it didn't work so I'm writing a mass reply. So, since putting up the message about trying to get SR to Australia I've found my way to teacher Sean Fitzgerald and Autism Exit, attended a 3-day seminar, had a home outreach with Sean in Brisbane and I'm on my way to Melbourne for Advanced Seminar. I'd still like to go to States though.

Now ... one thank you for supportive emails everyone and two, I also don't know anyone in Perth but through Autism Exit they might be able to help you and three, Does anyone know of people interested in SR in Brisbane, QLD? I'm running a home program for Felix, my 4yr old.

Okay, I'm off but super happy to try and help anyone within Australia (or without). My email is josephadietrich@hotmail.com

Cheers,

Josie.
Josie

Return to Connecting with Families Near You