Creating a Team

Creating a Team

Postby SimonaSchoemetzi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi there,

I am new here and feel like quite a green-horn.
I only learned about Sun-Rise in September and am trying to put as much as possible into practice since then. The changes my daughter is making are unbelievable!
Irina has not been diagnosed of autism. Here in Germany professionals only seem to call it autism if they can classify it as Asperger's or Kanner's Syndrome. According to what I have read, she would probably fit PDD-NOS which hereabouts is not considered a diagnose on the autism spectrum. (Or at least that's what I've been told.)

Now, today I would like to ask if anyone has a tipp for me, how to get our volunteers to become a SRP-Team? I have two students who each come for one afternoon per week. And they seem to consider this a babysitting job. Allthough I usually don't have any problems talking to people, when I want to talk about the time they spent with Irina, we somehow don't get into a real dialog. They just say it was fun or maybe mention a game they played but then they grab their coat and want to leave. So, somehow we never get to talk any further. I tried sending them information on Son-Rise by e-mail, telling them that this is what I'm trying to do and asking how they feel about it. One of them is really interested but has to prepare some exams first, before she has the time to study it closer. The other one hasn't responded to it at all.

My husband sees his daughter flourish and tells me to keep going - but he doesn't do anything close to sessions. He says, for him it's a waste of time, he has more important things to do.

So I feel a little lost here, with a bunch of people who like Irina and want her best but somehow don't work together.

I would be very grateful for any ideas you like to share.
Tanja
SimonaSchoemetzi

Re: Creating a Team

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:10 pm

HI Tanja,

I really hope you come back to our messageboard to check this as I know this reply is late and we sincerely apologize for that.

Well it sounds like you have been doing a fantastic job with your program so far! We are thrilled that Irina is making so many changes already!

What I would suggest is that you explain to the volunteers at the very beginning what is expected of them. Even for the ones that you currently have, meet with them and sweetly let them know that along with their playroom sessions, they will also be needed to stay for an extra 30 minutes to receive feedback from you once a week so that you can all work together as a team in helping Irina. They will also be expected to read and watch materials as part of their training too. This is not optional, this is compulsory! You are offering them a wonderful gift of making a difference in a special childs life, there is no experience neccesary and all training will be provided. If they are not willing to commit to this then they are not a good fit for your program. There will always be more volunteers available.

With regards to your husband. Something useful you could do is to book a phone consultation with one of our teachers and have him present durin the call so we could let him know more about the program.

We wish you all the best!

Becky
BeckyDamgaard

Postby SimonaSchoemetzi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi Becky,

thank you so much for your answer!
The messageboard did a great job informing me about it. :D

Our volunteers are not directly volunteers to us. They volunteered to an organisation which provides helpers to families with special needs children and they get paid for volunteering by our health insurance. So I kind of took them by surprise, that this "job" is different than what they are used to.

Now, I am starting to think that maybe we have to reorganize a few things besides telling them what I consider compulsory.
How long do you recommend sessions to be per person?
Because now, each of them is just coming once a week. - So should I give feedback every week which would be every session?
And then they stay for 3 hours straight. - Could that be too long?

One of them is now reading "Son-Rise - The Miracle continues" and she is really changing!

But the other one doesn't respond. And Irina more and more says that she doesn't want to stay with her. So I think we might have to look for someone different there.

Unfortunately, my husband hardly speeks a word of English. So, allthough I already have consultations with Susan, it's no use having him present during the phone call.
I was thinking of asking for a consultation with Gerd in German, but my husband doesn't want that either. So I decided to concentrate on Irina, the volunteers and fundraising, and hope that he will notice the changes and eventually might get interested.

Michelle called me today to talk about scholarships and fundraising and we found a few good ideas. It just feels so good to be in contact with you people!!!
Thank you so much!
Tanja
SimonaSchoemetzi

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 am

Dear Tanja,

Well that sounds great that you are getting these workers to come! Seeing that they are getting paid from the insurance company, I don't think it's unresaonable at all for them to be trained in the way that you want them to be. This is your precious child after all!

We recommend asking volunteers to come for 4-6 hours per week (playroom time). Then an additional 30 minutes per week for feedback. A good length of time for a playroom session is 2 hours, so you could have them come for 2 x two hour sessions or 3 x two hour sessions per week. Then you will observe them just once per week for 15 minutes and then give them feedback for an additional 30 minutes once per week.

Until they are trained enough to do the all of their playroom sessions, still have them come for the whole amount of hours that they are commiting too and have them do other things during that time hat will help them get trained (e.g. observe you in the playroom, watch DVD's, read books, etc).

How wonderful that one of your volunteers is being open and you are seeing changes! I would put more energy and focus into training her than the one who is not open.

With regards to your husband, just keep role-modelling the lifestyle of the Son-Rise Program (which means loving and accepting where he is in his journey too) and sooner or later he may show more of an interest of getting involved.

Have fun!
BeckyDamgaard

Postby SimonaSchoemetzi » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Dear Becky,

thank you so much for your response!
Lately somehow both our volunteers were ill so I was quite on my own. I am now looking for some more volutneers to cover more hours and be more flexible if one can't come.
Books and DVDs to hand to them are rare since many people here in Germany aren't fluent in English. I have the original "Son-Rise" book in German (not "...the miracle continues"). Which other books could you recomend that are available in German?

Thank you so much for your support!
Tanja
SimonaSchoemetzi

Return to Training Your Support Team