Language development

Language development

Postby drew1010 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:50 pm

I am new to this program and have some questions regarding speech and language development. What is the the programs theory? I did not see any Speech and Language Pathologists listed as staff. I can get my child to imitate simple words, yes but that is not functional communication. Some children echo entire movies. At least with picture exchange methods my child can show me what he wants. I am just looking for some clarity in this area. The program seems founded and wonderful in so many areas, but communication is missing from my findings.

Looking forward to hearing from you all soon ;)
drew1010

Re: Language development

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Hello Drew!

I sincerely apologize for the delayed response.

I'm not sure if you have been to our Start-Up Program yet? This would definitely give you more information on language and teach you the techniques that we use in The Son-Rise Program to help our children with their speech and language development. For now, here are some simple guidelines you can try with your child at home immediately. We have inspired many, many children of all ages and diagnoses all over the world to improve their language abilities for the the past 30 years and it is very much a part of what we do.

1) Listen carefully and celebrate your childs attempts at verbal communication. Often our children are using language spontaneously without us noticing. If your child makes a sound, approximation or even repeats a word that you have said, cheer him on for his successes. The more recognition he gets for his efforts the more he will be inspired to do it again.

I hope this helps, we very much hope to see you at a Start-Up soon!

2) Model and label language for your child. Keep it simple and offer him fun activities and objects when he pays attention to you or looks at an object. For example, depending on his age, if he looks at you, offer him a tickle, while modelling the one useful verb "Tickle" with the action you are doing. If he looks at a book, quickly offer him the book, paired with the noun "Book". The more he hears the word that goes with each action or object, the more he will know what to say when he wants them next.

3) Pause! After you model the word, leave a long pause for him to respond, he may need some extra time to process what you are saying.

3) Wait until he is motivated before asking him to speak. He is much more likely to try something new when he has an interest in something he wants or is motivated for you to do something he finds fun. For instance, instead of saying "What's that?" while you point to a tree, when he has no interest in the tree, give him something he loves a few times to build his excitement level and then invite him to say it (e.g. blow lots of bubbles for him until he smiles and looks, then say "Now you say bubbles!"
BeckyDamgaard

Re: Language development

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:42 pm

We very much hope to see you at a Start-Up so so we can share more with you!

Warm regards,
BeckyDamgaard

Return to Developing Your Child's Language