need help in math

need help in math

Postby eleazar10 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:12 am

Hi
My son is struggling with understanding the Concept of addition.
Any ideas on how to help him with that? He is a visual learner and he is 10 ears old.
We tried counting objects and Touch math,
however he still does not know what to do, for example when working on touch math with him, he is counting the dots but when you take the dots out of the number he does not know what to do with numbers. Seems like he does not know that number 5 is five dots or 5 objects, but wen you ask him to give you 5 objects he does it.
What are we missing?
eleazar10

Re: need help in math

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:27 am

Hello!

Thank you so much for your question! Are you running a Son-Rise Program with your son? If so then we would recommend that you work primarily on social skills first before moving on to academics. It's going to be really useful for your son that he is looking at you, engaging with you, that he has a long enough interactive attention span and is flexible enough to then learn this sophisticated skill. Being that people with Autism spectrum Disorder's main challenges are interacting and relating to other people, strengthening his skills in this area first would be key.

I would love to know more about where you see him to be on our Son-Rise Program Social Developmental Model in order to best hep you.

You can find it ny following this link and then assessing which stage you think he is in.

http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org/co ... _model.php

I look forward to hearing from you!
BeckyDamgaard

Return to Developing Your Child's Language