Potty Issues

Potty Issues

Postby Kimbapatty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 am

Hi all! I have a question for inside my playroom! I recently got the Thetford PotraPotty 365 and we love it. However my son continually flushes it and opens and closes the part that lets the business in the bottom. Over and over so help!!! I tried to say 1 flush per pee pee or poop but he just continually does it. I don't want this to become a power stuggle so I need some help ASAP!
THANKS!!!
Patty Mezzo
Kimbapatty

Re: Potty Issues

Postby BeckyDamgaard » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:50 am

Hi Patty,

Well done for getting the Portpotti! We love it and use if often in our playroom at the Intensive program.

Because the flushing, etc can be distracting for some children, and they can also be really sensitive to the chemicals that you are supposed to use in it, we do not keep water or chemicals in ours at all and that way, there is realy nothing to flush. If the child pees or poops in it then we open the drawer at the bottom so that the flap opens and the pee or poop falls down into the compartment where it's supposed to go and then we clean it out at the end of the day.

If he is actually using the potty to pee and poop in then I would probably let him flush it (if it didn't have the water and chemicals in it to keep flushing), the "dry flush" experience will probably not be that exciting for him, but if he continues to do it I would treat it like an ism and join him pretending to flush your own toilet. If he is getting into the bottom part where the pee and poop goes then it's a health and safety issue so we would set a boundary around it. The way to do that is first to ask him not to, if he continues, sweetly explain you want to keep him safe and then stand in front of it so he can't get to it. You could put the lid down and sit on it with your feet in front of the drawer. If you are intending to keep the water in it then I would also set a boundary around him flushing it because it will use up all the excess water and there won't be any left for when you need it.

All the best!
BeckyDamgaard

Re: Potty Issues

Postby Kimbapatty » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:45 am

Hi Becky!
Thank you so much for answering my question! I feel like you're my personal guru! I am hoping to go to Max Impact & it was be great to meet you if you ever stop in! But anyway...in the meantime I put a little sign on the wall right above the potty. It says
1-Go pee pee or poop.
2-Flush 1 time.
3-Pull the lever 1 time.
The sign helps b/c we can refer to it and it's helped some. Also the initial novelty of the potty has worn off so it's not as much of a big deal to him so that's helped a little too! I did put the chemical in initially just following their instructions but I only put maybe a cup of water in it each day. This way, like you said, after a few flushes it goes dry and it's not all that exciting to him it seems. Plus David has become more into the people and if he's doing something with someone that's fun, he's more likely now just to go pee and then come right back to the game! Woo Hoo!
Luv me some Son-rise!
God Bless
Patty Mezzo 8-) 8-)
Kimbapatty

Return to Challenging Behaviors