In the search for the support team

In the search for the support team

Postby msacalifornia » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:45 am

Hi,
I've been having a hard time to look for volunteer and even paid ones to help me to make the support team for my son. How long does it take to have a very supportive people who can incorporate the Son-Rise program or essence in their way of interacting with my son? Shall I do something else?
Hope to hear from you. Thanks again.
msacalifornia

Re: In the search for the support team

Postby SusanHumphries » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Hi there Msacalifornia!
We are cheering you on in your pursuit for getting volunteers. My name is Susan and I am a Son Rise Instructor. I have volunteered in 3 Son Rise Programs and I am about to Volunteer in my 4th program. I tell you this so that you can hear that I am one of thousands of people who want to be a part of a Son Rise journey. I have been working with parents for over 5 years and the most common thing that gets in the way of parents finding volunteers is a strong belief that people will not want to volunteer their time. Our belief determines our actions and feelings. What belief are you holding about getting volunteers? Do you believe there are people in your area that would want to support your son in his Son Rise Program. People who would want to dedicate 4-6 hours a week for at least 6 months!!!!! I am telling you that there are. The other thing to hold as a supportive belief is that whoever volunteers in your program will receive the greatest gift, the gift of being with your wonderful child in a joyful, celebratory, energetic, non-judgmental manner. My life totally changed in a hugely rewarding direction simply because I volunteered with a Son Rise Family.
Once you have decided to hold a supportive belief then it is time to take action. I recommend you set an intention such as; “I am determined to find people who are willing to help my son and grow themselves in this opportunity that I am offering.” Then you want to have on your recruiting glasses at all times. I have worked with parents who have had some creative ways of getting vollies. One parent had the 3 minute 3 feet rule. If she had a few minutes and was a few feet away from someone she would talk to that person about her program and offer them to find out more about her program. I have told many parents to get business cards made up that could serve as mini-flyers. Have a picture of you and your son playing with a catchy phrase. “Want to have some fun, let’s play!” add our website and a way to get a hold of you. You can get business cards, like 300 of them, for cheap online. Pass these cards out to all your friends for them to pass out. Always have them with you to share with people you meet in your day to day experience. Put flyers up and not just 10 put up 50-60-100!!!! IN other words take action that really shows you want this for you and your child. Get on the radio call the news paper. Talk to other Son Rise parents on face book to see what creative ways they have done to get vollies. Put flyers in places that attract people who are working on their well being. For example, health food places, churches, meditation and yoga centers, community centers, etc. Target college students, they have flexible schedules. Read your volunteer section in your manual for details on interviews and training your people.

When people start contacting you be very clear about what you want even if it means they will not want to volunteer. For example, if someone only wants to play one hour a week. I would have them help you in other ways vs. putting your time and effort in training them. Consider this, it will take a volunteer who only works with your child one hour a week, 8 weeks to have spent a day with your child. You want 4-6 hours a week, remember you are offering a gift of growth and the reward of being in your son’s life! For those who cannot offer the full time they can still support you. They can put up flyers, cook for you once a week, maybe babysit, etc.
You have everything it takes to recruit volunteers because you are motivated to help your son! Have fun in your journey.
Please let us know if you have any other questions and please provide any relevant details. I see you have some posts that Becky wanted to help you with but you did not get back to her with more details.
:D :D :D
Susan Humphries
The Son Rise Program ™ Teacher
SusanHumphries

Re: In the search for the support team

Postby msacalifornia » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi Susan,

Thank you so much for your input here. Actually, about Becky's, I haven't received any alert that I have messages from her. I am going to try again to surf in here. I'm very new in this website.
Hugs!! (One of my the favorite games for my son).
msacalifornia

Return to Training Your Support Team