Question from a single mom

Question from a single mom

Postby msacalifornia » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:38 am

Hi,
My son and I are new in the Son-Rise program, we just started implementing it. I am a single mom and divorced. The father of my son has been very inconsistent with the visits for a long time ago and also because my son has been ill many times he prefers my son stays with mom. Lately, dad wants to start again the visits but my son is in completely denial. Can I have some hints in approaching this to my son? Any help is really appreciated. Thank you.
msacalifornia

Re: Question from a single mom

Postby SusanHumphries » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi

Do you mind giving a bit more information. Can you let us what you mean or what your child is saying and doing that gives you the impression that he is in denial. It would also help us if you could give an overall description of where your son is in his level of connection. What stage do you think he is in on Our Social Developmental Model. Does he use conversational language or he is using minimal language? How connected is he? Will he play with you on average for more than 5 minutes? What are some of hid top motivations when he is interacting with others? This will help me understand where he is in his development. ;)

Is his father open to doing Son Rise in the playroom or around the house in a life style approach?

Let me know because I really want to help.
Susan Humphries
The Son Rise Program ™ Teacher
SusanHumphries

Postby msacalifornia » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:04 am

Hi Susan,
Thank you so much for your reply. I've been so busy with my son and it's been really hard to come back to you. Actually, my son and I are playing for about 2 hours every day and sometimes he is locking ourselves up in the room for what I am so impressed all the time... and very, very, very very happy for him and proud of him, too, he is doing an excellent job.
Kind of hard right now to give you answers to the other questions, meanwhile I am processing the lecture, sometimes it would be easier for me to talk about that. Looking forward to hearing from you again.
msacalifornia

Postby SusanHumphries » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi MSCalifornia

I am so excited to read that you and your son are developing a sweet playful bond in the playroom. You had mentioned that you wanted to talk about your son's development. I thought it would be useful to remind you that we have excellent ;) services on a variety of topics and cost that help support you in your journey in and out of the playroom. [url] http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org/co ... rvices.php
[/url]

It is really wonderful that your son is showing you his want to be in the room! Make sure to share all the progress you are seeing for your son with others in your life. Is is looking, talking, attending to you more, and/or more flexible since you started doing your 2 hours sessions? Sharing the changes you are seeing in your son and in yourself may inspire others in your life so that when you invite them to support you they may be more willing. :) We celebrate you for being a force of nature with your sweet boy's development. You alone are already making such progress......now start inviting others to support your journey.
Susan Humphries
The Son Rise Program ™ Teacher
SusanHumphries

Return to Other