screaming with joy?

screaming with joy?

Postby loveitglows » Sun May 30, 2010 12:33 pm

ok, we haven't gone to start up yet, but this issue keeps coming up, and i'd love to know how to handle it asap :?:

so, my daughter, age 6, delightful, :) loves to jump on her rebounder in our sonrise playroom. sometimes, (often) she loves to scream with joy at the very tippy top of her lungs while doing so. i'm not sure what to do...she will go in there and do it by herself, and she will do it while we are trying to join her as well. she will make long sustained eye contact if we are jumping with her, but will just let out these crazy very excited screams, which can be very hard on our ears.

does anyone have any suggestions? i'm not sure if this is something that we should be joining or what. i've tried saying, oh you want to be loud, lets sing a song...but really i have no clue what i'm doing. help! :?
loveitglows

Re: screaming with joy?

Postby mqstultz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi there... In case you're still looking for replies to this thread...
My little one (2.5 yrs) does something very similar to what you describe. So I decided to join him screams and all. In fact, I always try to mimic all his sounds (it's pretty fun for me) and have found that he really likes it, specially when I'm able to match his pitch exactly. But sometimes he tells me no, and so I just lower my volume or stop doing it.

Back to the screaming, I joined him for a week or two on that particular behavior, and have to tell you that he's almost stopped doing it. He's replaced the high-pitched squeals of delight by other repetitive sentences. You know how they change their isms so fast. You can hardly keep up... I say, when in doubt, go ahead and join.
mqstultz

Postby loveitglows » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:17 pm

thanks so much for replying. :) i didn't see this until now, but i just tried to come from a place of love and acceptance and found the same thing, by either joining completely, or maybe just jumping with her and not joining in the really deafening shrieks, that it happens much less now. almost not at all. thanks!
loveitglows

Postby qwylon22 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:32 am

thank you so much for sharing. i've been going through the same thing with my 4-year old. his screams are joyful ones... ones that stem out of excitement. the shrieks are deafening and i haven't been able to match his pitch, but i've noticed that he doesnt scream as much when i join him. i'll keep joining now that i know it works beyond a week. i reverted back to my "old ways" after week one as i was extremely frustrated. thank you for the tips! i am most grateful!
qwylon22

Return to Challenging Behaviors